American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant on the Racial Equity and Justice team to conduct research on racial equity and justice issues. For this research- and writing-intensive role, a successful candidate will be highly detail-oriented and have substantive research experience. Candidates should also have familiarity with racial equity and justice work.
The Research Assistant will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” They will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Conduct and support research and analysis.
- Assist the team with intensive research tasks and writing for products. This work will include writing literature reviews, drafting talking points, writing background memos, and responding to rapid response requests.
- Help draft advocacy materials and fact sheets for reports and issue briefs that the team produces.
- Monitor news stories on issues that are relevant to the team’s priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two years of experience in research and writing for a nonprofit or advocacy group.
- Superb research and writing ability.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines with competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong policy interest in racial equity and justice as well as some expertise in or experience working on these issues is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is represented by IFPTE Local 70. The starting salary for this position
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.