American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Assistant to the President. This role serves as the primary assistant to American Progress’ President and calls for an exceptional, highly organized individual with unwavering attention to detail who is guided by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” Duties will include managing the President’s schedule, staffing the President, and ensuring that the President is prepared for daily objectives. This position involves providing both administrative and research support to senior executives who rely heavily on the Executive Assistant to triage all incoming requests; assess and determine the order of priorities; provide timely, concise, and reliable information; and ensure that the President is thoroughly prepared for a variety of speaking engagements, events, and meetings. This position is best suited for an individual with superior strategic thinking skills who can help manage the President’s time effectively given constant competing demands.
In addition, the functions of this position will help support and reinforce American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
This is an excellent opportunity for someone eager to have a front-row seat to the issues of the day at an exciting and dynamic organization engaging in policy debates, generating new ideas, shaping public debate, and so much more. The Executive Assistant will work with American Progress teams on behalf of the President and will be a critical part of the organization’s operation. This position is not entry level; it requires three to five years of experience, including at least one to two years of scheduling or executive assistant experience.
- Thoughtfully manage the President’s schedule, calendar, contact list, phone, and email.
- Coordinate travel and lodging arrangements.
- Organize the President’s day-to-day activities to assess and prioritize daily tasks and long-term responsibilities.
- Work with the Deputy Chief of Staff to manage and prioritize daily workflow, meetings, pending decisions, messages, and incoming materials for review.
- Assemble daily briefing materials for the President.
- Proofread and edit all briefing materials and remarks going to the President.
- Manage robust monthly expense reports and process reimbursements and executive invoices.
- Accurately bill the President’s time to grant and general billing codes.
- Communicate effectively on the President’s behalf to external partners and donors.
- Handle confidential, sensitive, and nonroutine information and matters with discretion, confidentiality, and integrity.
- Draft letters and ensure that briefing materials are ready in a timely manner.
- Take on special projects and additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals—including the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- At least three to five years of prior work experience; one to two years of previous experience in a scheduling or executive assistant role, preferably for a principal, is required.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be a self-starter who takes initiative and can work autonomously but knows when to ask for guidance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and stay organized.
- Ability to produce and implement consistent systems for keeping track of overflow of information.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a starting salary of $55,000.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.