American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Adviser for Communications, who will work with the Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Advocacy Department to manage media relations and other external communications. This person will serve as a strategist, working closely with the president of CAP Action to develop and implement communications plans for CAP Action’s programs and priorities. The Senior Adviser will work closely with other CAP Communications staff and with counterparts at allied organizations to align messaging and press strategies. They will also work side by side with the Advocacy Department’s digital communications, campaigns, and research teams and play a leadership role in developing CAP Action’s communications strategies around advocacy and electoral activities. This role is part of the Advocacy Department’s senior leadership team.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The Senior Adviser will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Develop and implement communications plans for the Advocacy Department’s programs and products, working closely with teams across the department and organization when needed.
- Work closely with the Advocacy Department’s digital team on the development and execution of communications plans that incorporate social media strategy, digital content creation, and traditional press.
- Partner with the research team to identify rapid-response and long-term opportunities that clearly define and contextualize progressive policy impacts and hold elected leaders accountable using a data-driven approach.
- Lead outreach to communicators at allied organizations to help develop content and strategy around key advocacy initiatives.
- Play a leadership role in advising CAP Action’s rapid-response program.
- Pitch reporters on CAP Action initiatives and products.
- Write content for talking points, memos, and other products, coordinating with other members of the CAP communications team.
- Manage special projects as they arise, including polling development and releases.
- Manage prospective Advocacy Department communications staff and coordination with CAP’s Press team on products and strategy.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Twelve to 15 years of experience in media and/or communications, including managing strategies and execution of issue and electoral programs.
- A keen strategic eye for news-worthy angles paired with the discipline needed to drive a message.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Experience working with reporters with on-the-record spokesperson experience.
- Campaign experience is strongly preferred.
- Previous management experience is preferred.
- Strong relationships with progressive partners and allies, including with political organizations.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Ability to build, motivate, and work within a team to accomplish project goals.
- Experience effectively engaging with reporters, thought leaders, and other policy influencers on social media.
- Nonprofit or government experience is required.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.