American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Social Media Designer or Associate Director of Design to join a growing creative team within the Advocacy and Outreach department. The department’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling visual content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
The successful candidate will work as part of a team that creates infographics, advertisements, websites, email newsletters, and videos. The Senior Social Media Designer’s responsibilities will include providing across-the-board design support for the department’s social channels and partners and staying up to date with the latest political news and design trends in social media. The Associate Director of Design’s responsibilities will include developing new brand identities and logos, designing content for social media channels, and managing the Social Media Design Associate.
The ideal candidate should be able to read and translate complicated data and information into easy-to-interpret visual representations with little or no direction. The Associate Director of Design will manage and provide mentorship to a Design Associate and will be responsible for helping track products from start to finish.
This is a full-time position funded through December 2022. The budgeted salary for the Senior Social Media Designer position is $70,000, and the budgeted salary for the Associate Director of Design position is $80,000.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” They will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Work with the Advocacy and Outreach leadership team and American Progress’ policy teams to advance advocacy goals by using design to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Stay up to date on the latest political news trends and coverage of key legislation in Congress.
- Work with the Director of Design and policy teams to create scripts for products that advance the department’s messaging in accessible, shareable formats.
- Pitch and occasionally lead graphic content brainstorms based on the department’s issue areas.
- Execute ideas and optimize graphics for engagement on American Progress’ Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Manage, optimize, and execute design projects that advance the department’s strategic goals.
- Manage a Design Associate.
- Work with the Director of Design to create and develop strong brand identities for American Progress’ social channels.
- Optimize and version out graphics for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to maximize KPIs, including shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Create charts and graphs from data, working with research and policy teams.
- Develop graphics for web and video on an as-needed basis.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in social media design.
- Manage other projects and track duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related major or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years of professional design experience for the Senior Social Media Designer position, or seven years for the Associate Director of Design position.
- High-level proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS X environment.
- A strong portfolio of design work and/or portfolio website.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Highly creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The Senior Social Media Designer position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a budgeted salary of $70,000. The Associate Director of Design is not represented by a union and has a budgeted salary of $80,000.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.