American Progress has an immediate opening for a Desktop Support Technician in its Administration department. The successful candidate will join the Technology team as the front-line support person who fields technical requests from the user community and handles routine support and maintenance tasks.
The Desktop Support Technician will help support the technical needs of the organization while upholding American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
They will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Field American Progress’ user community requests and support calls.
- Handle routine desktop support tasks such as user setups, terminations, equipment moves, and troubleshooting.
- Provide Windows and macOS technical support.
- Maintain users’ on-screen display using SmartDeploy and Addigy or other imaging solutions.
- Deploy software using management tools.
- Update user-facing guides and internal procedures on American Progress’ intranet using Atlassian Confluence.
- Update inventory information in American Progress’ inventory management system.
- Use Microsoft Active Directory and Office 365 to manage user permissions.
- Assist with provisioning mobile and loan devices as well as managing their inventory.
- Work alongside other IT staff to solve more complex support tasks.
- Document procedures for support tasks.
- Provide videoconference support using Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business, and GoToMeeting.
- Help users understand how to use American Progress’ various technology platforms.
- Provide technical training to American Progress’ employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Associate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 and Azure.
- Experience with technology and audiovisual systems in conference rooms.
- At least one year of experience supporting and maintaining computers in a business environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Strong ability to analyze and troubleshoot technical problems.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a budgeted salary of $62,000.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.