Administrative Associate, Office Services
Senior Director and Team Leader, Operations
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Nonexempt, full time; Union - Level 3
Minimum compensation: $54,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Administrative Associate on the Office Services team within its Administration department. This position will provide front desk coverage in partnership with the team’s Facilities Assistant. This is a highly visible role serving as the first point of contact for all visitors, guests, and callers to the main reception area. The Administrative Associate is responsible for a broad range of administrative, clerical, and operational support for the organization and the Office Services team, such as maintaining the team’s calendar; assisting with invoicing, collecting, and reconciling reimbursement requests; professionally answering and directing phone calls; and greeting, directing, and announcing guests. As part of the Office Services team, the Administrative Associate will assist with various routine administrative functions on a daily and as-needed basis. The schedule for this position is five eight-hour days in the office each week.
The successful candidate must be able to work independently and in a team environment in a fast-paced workplace; interact appropriately with politicians, dignitaries, and other high-profile guests with professionalism and poise; exercise sound judgment; exhibit an unwavering positive demeanor; and support the successful implementation and execution of new policies, procedures, and projects. This position is ideal for a candidate who supports American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
- Greet and announce guests in a professional, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Answer all incoming calls and ensure that phone calls are redirected quickly, accurately, and in accordance with established guidelines.
- Help maintain workplace security by activating, deactivating, and distributing access cards based on employment status; coordinating the guest and temporary access card programs; and maintaining guest, visitor, and access card logs.
- Open and/or close reception areas, ensuring on-time starts to the workday.
- Maintain the reception area in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Manage and maintain calendars for the Office Services team.
- Schedule meetings for the Senior Director and Team Leader of Operations and other Administration teams as requested.
- Maintain and update the Office Services pages on American Progress’ Confluence and CAPNet knowledge-sharing sites.
- Support travel operations by approving or rejecting staff travel requests and providing professional customer service to resolve minor travel issues.
- Maintain shared databases, including databases for American Progress’ print subscriptions, internal moves, and new hire desk setups, as well as other databases, department records, and files as assigned and developed.
- Process and coordinate American Progress’ catering requests.
- Reconcile American Progress’ petty cash expenses.
- Reconcile the Office Services team’s credit card expenses and support the reconciliation of American Progress’ travel expenses.
- Place and monitor business card and stationery orders for staff.
- Partner with the Events team, on-site security personnel, and security services provider to request security services for public and private events.
- Liaise with the security provider for routine office closings.
- Support Office Services team operations by submitting building and facilities requests through the online portal.
- Provide administrative support to the Office Services team as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially professional phone etiquette.
- Capacity to interact professionally with all levels of staff, politicians, dignitaries, and interview candidates, among others.
- Ability to work independently at the front desk and in a team setting.
- Basic math skills.
- Demonstrated reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Capacity to exercise good professional judgment.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially in Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- One to two years of professional administrative experience, preferably in an office setting.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $54,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.