Associate Director/Director of Media Relations
Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 6
Minimum compensation: $77,000/$92,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director/Director of Media Relations. This person will work as a senior member of the Press team and will work closely with policy staff in the Center’s Inclusive Growth department to develop and implement a communications plan and press roll-out plans for American Progress products and initiatives, as well as work with other members of the communications team to create content as needed.
The Associate Director/Director’s portfolio of work will support American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The Associate Director/Director will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Develop and implement a communications plan for the Center’s policy work.
- Work with policy staff to develop specific press plans for American Progress work.
- Develop and implement editorial board strategies.
- Develop strategies to place American Progress work in state and local news outlets.
- Pitch reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Work with the Digital Strategy team on social media strategy that will get American Progress work to audiences outside traditional media.
- Create content for American Progress digital properties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 6 years of experience for Associate Director role; 7 to 10 years of experience for the Director role.
- A minimum of five years of experience in media and/or communications. “On the record” spokesperson experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask and to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial; strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
- Experience communicating about economic issues, public health, and women’s health strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of American Progress issues.
- Nonprofit work experience is a plus.
- Ability to build, motivate, and work within a team to accomplish project goals.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel a plus.
- Committed to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union. The minimum salary for the Associate Director position is $77,000, and the minimum salary for the Director position is $92,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.