Executive Policy Associate/Executive Policy Coordinator
Executive Vice President, Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $55,000/$61,000
Work site: Hybrid (on site three to four days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking an Executive Policy Associate or Executive Policy Coordinator to join its Executive Office team. The Executive Policy Associate or Executive Policy Coordinator position involves strategically and effectively managing a significant workload across American Progress’ six policy departments and five crosscutting priorities. This position requires a clear communicator with stellar judgment and discretion who can manage important relationships; is highly organized and detail oriented and maintains the ability to prioritize competing demands; and provides timely and concise information. Responsibilities include drafting, researching, and editing; organizing and scheduling meetings and events; project managing with colleagues at all levels of the organization; and executing other assignments as needed.
The successful candidate will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. They will join a dynamic team of colleagues in supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Manage key administrative needs for the Executive Vice President for Policy, including scheduling and helping with travel as needed, among others.
- Create, manage, and track policy planning documents.
- Draft, edit, and proof documents.
- Work with the Executive Vice President for Policy to set policy goals and develop work plans for executing objectives.
- Serve as a project coordinator for various cross-organizational, crosscutting policy working groups.
- Communicate with and help manage the Executive Vice President for Policy’s direct reports.
- Communicate directly on behalf of American Progress’ executive leadership, as needed.
- Work with project owners and managers to draft and circulate meeting agendas, develop shared documents, and/or compile necessary materials.
- Help move items and requests to designated approvers.
- Keep an updated list of who should be in meetings and work with project managers to adjust as needed; manage a group email list if necessary.
- Offer suggestions and feedback for improving process and communications and identify areas for further collaboration within American Progress.
- Send reminders for deadlines and input on product planning documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- At least two years of relevant professional experience for the Executive Policy Associate position, including one to two years prior experience in project management and working with senior leadership; at least three years of relevant professional experience for the Executive Policy Coordinator position, including one to two years prior experience in project management and working with senior leadership.
- Track record of displaying stellar judgment and discretion.
- Strong writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction when needed but does not wait for the next instruction to complete a project.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, develop processes, and organize various workstreams.
- Willingness and ability to take a leadership role among peers in the organization.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Willingness to commute to American Progress’ Washington, D.C., office up to four days per week, as needed.
Skills for project coordinator support:
- Ability to compile thorough notes and track next steps and to help set project timelines and adjust as needed.
- Ability to keep a keen eye on outcomes sought and ensure that the work on the project remains focused on that horizon and is executing on a theory of action consistent with reaching it.
- Be familiar with American Progress’ five priorities and related objectives.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union. The minimum salary for the Executive Policy Associate position is $55,000, and the minimum salary for the Executive Policy Coordinator position is $61,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.