Research Assistant/Research Associate, Inclusive Growth
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Inclusive Growth
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $51,000/$54,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a Research Assistant or Research Associate in its Inclusive Growth department. The Assistant or Associate will primarily assist the Financial Regulation and Corporate Governance initiative by providing research support as needed on topics related to banking, capital markets, corporate governance, derivatives, and broader issues of financial regulation and the overall competitiveness and inclusiveness of our economy. They will also support the research of the Inclusive Growth department on a broader range of economic issues. The successful candidate will be guided by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom the Inclusive Growth department can rely to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative and research support, including qualitative and quantitative analysis. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask, set priorities in a fast-paced environment, and manage important communications on behalf of the team. Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals, both internally and externally, are important. In addition, this position will support American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Provide research support on key policy areas, including by analyzing datasets, reading and summarizing existing research, reviewing state and federal legislation, and more.
- Provide rapid response policy analysis both for internal and external audiences.
- Prepare outlines and/or first drafts of policy articles, briefs, and reports.
- Help manage coalition and advocacy efforts, including by assisting in the coordination and planning of public and private meetings and events.
- Assist in the development, implementation, management, production, and distribution of large-scale research projects.
- Help coordinate with American Progress’ Press and Digital Strategy teams and regularly promote the Financial Regulation and Corporate Governance initiative and Inclusive Growth department’s products online.
- Help provide operational and administrative support to the team, including scheduling, processing and filing forms, and helping write grant reports.
- Perform other duties, including administrative help, as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or experience in a relevant field.
- One to two years of professional experience for the Research Assistant position, and two to four years of professional experience for the Research Associate position.
- Demonstrated interest in issues related to financial regulatory and supervisory policy, corporate governance, climate-related risks in the financial system, and other issues arising out of the banking and financial regulators’ portfolios.
- Experience working on financial regulation, corporate governance, or broader economic policy.
- Ability to understand economic issues and communicate them effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative.
- Sense of humor and flexibility.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The minimum salary for the Research Assistant position is $51,000, and the minimum salary for the Research Associate position is $54,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.