House Democrats aren’t wasting any time. This morning, Speaker Pelosi and Rep. Sarbanes rolled out the For the People Act (H.R.1), a “sweeping anti-corruption proposal” aimed at:
- Cleaning up the Trump/GOP #CultureOfCorruption.
- Overhauling campaign finance to unrig the U.S. election system.
- Eliminating barriers to voting and expanding voting rights.
- Giving real teeth to ethics oversight.
- Holding Trump and his corrupt administration accountable.
As Rep. Sarbanes said, “We heard loud and clear from the American people…that they want us to fight the culture of corruption.”
We look forward to seeing how many Republicans vote pro-corruption.
Want to know more? Watch Rep. Sarbanes give a quick rundown about the bill here.
#TRUMPSHUTDOWN: DAY 14.
Here’s the state of play:
- We’re in day 14 of the #TrumpShutdown.
- House Democrats, joined by seven House Republicans, passed a bill last night to reopen the government.
- President Trump and Senate Majority Leader McConnell are refusing to get on board, even though the same bill was passed unanimously by Senate Republicans just a few weeks ago.
- However, McConnell is facing pressure from within his caucus, as two GOP Senators made public statements calling for an end to the shutdown ASAP, even if that means some cooperation with Democrats.
- Meanwhile, Vice President Pence and senior administration officials are poised to get $10,000 raises as hundreds of thousands of federal workers continue to go without pay.
- In another meeting at the White House, according to Schumer, Trump said that “he’d keep the government closed for a very long period of time — months or even years.”
Impacts of the shutdown are already being felt across the country, and it’s only going to get worse day by day. Human waste and garbage are piling up and overwhelming our national parks. Federal workers don’t know when they’ll see their next paychecks.