The president of The Center for American Progress Action Fund is Tom Perriello.
What We Believe
As progressives we believe that America should be a country of boundless opportunity—where all people can better themselves through education, hard work, and the freedom to pursue their dreams. We believe this will only be achieved with an open and effective government that champions the common good over narrow self-interest, harnesses the strength of our diversity, and secures the rights and safety of its people.
Real progress will be achieved only through innovative solutions borne of open collaboration.
To realize our vision we must:
- Build an opportunity nation where every hard-working person, regardless of background, can realize their dreams through education, decent work and fair play.
- Reawaken America’s conscience, our sense of shared and personal responsibility, to build healthy, vibrant communities.
- Reform government so that it is of, by and for the people: open, effective, and committed to the common good.
- Use America’s strength to bring the world together, not pull it apart.
How We Work
- We explore the issues that matter most. We learn everything we can about the vital issues facing America and the world through dialogue with leaders, thinkers and citizens.
- We develop bold new ideas. We debate. We develop a point of view. Then we take a stand.
- We shape the national debate. We share our point of view—online, on campus, in the media, on the shop floor and in the boardroom, with Congress and in statehouses—with everyone who can put our ideas into practice and affect positive change.
Who is a progressive?
Founded on the ideals of the progressive movement at the turn of the century, today’s progressive movement believes that an open and effective government can improve the lives of everyday Americans by playing an active role in solving social and economic problems.
In other words, a progressive is someone who is idealistic enough to believe that things can be better and pragmatic enough to get it done.
How can I help?
Educate yourself on the issues and help inform the national debate. Visit our sister organization, the Center for American Progress, for the latest progressive thinking on civil liberties, economic policy, and national security issues as well as media and culture, cartoons, and listings for our compelling series of public events. To stay informed, read our award-winning blog, Think Progress.
To be progressive is to be active. Get involved in campus or state and local issues shaping our collective future with the help of our online resources: do research; download policy papers; print talking points; make a difference. We also invite you to join our staff: we are always looking for bright, passionate thinkers.
Without your generous support, we cannot do this important work. Visit our donate page to make a contribution. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a non-profit, non-partisan organization under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue code. Donations are not tax deductible and may be disclosed to the IRS.