9 Times Trump Promised Jobs for Michigan in Grand Rapids
Today President Trump will visit Grand Rapids, MI for one of his first campaign rallies this cycle and his very first visit after GM decided to close the Detroit-Hamtramck plant. After receiving at least $157 million in tax savings from Trump’s tax cuts, GM will send thousands of Michigan jobs to Mexico anyway — something the president repeatedly promised would not happen during a Trump administration. In fact, Trump made that promise in Grand Rapids, MI alone over 9 times.
- “The long nightmare of jobs leaving Michigan will be coming to a very rapid end.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, October 31, 2016 [10:15]
- “A Trump administration will stop the jobs from leaving America and we will stop the jobs from leaving Michigan. That I can tell you, 100 percent.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, November 7, 2016 [49:44]
- "After we win, I’m going to be coming back to Michigan a lot. I’m going to be coming back every time we open a new factory or a new automobile plant. And we will do it, we will do a lot of expansion. We’re going to do a lot of expansion, I know exactly what to do folks. We’re not going to lose your jobs anymore.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, November 7, 2016 [36:36]
- “We will lower taxes, unleash American energy, bring new companies to our shores and stop the companies already here from viciously leaving.” — Trump Grand Rapids Victory Rally, December 9, 2016 [58:12]
- “And we’re going to bring our Michigan jobs and Michigan workers back to work. We’re going to bring them back to work.” — Trump Grand Rapids Victory Rally, December 9, 2016 [34:07]
- “We will bring back your automobile production, and we will bring back your industry. Wait until you see what we do for Michigan.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, November 7, 2016 [38:28]
- “Let me start today by making a very important promise to you. When I win on November 8th, I am going to bring your jobs back to America.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, October 31, 2016 [1:23]
- “Your industry in Michigan is gonna start up big league again, with these car manufacturers, they’re gonna build right here now.”— Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, December 21, 2015 [43:55]
- “I will fight for every last Michigan job — you’re going to have plenty of jobs get ready.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, October 31, 2016 [2:30]
As one of the affected Detroit-Hamtramck workers put it “Anything [Trump] has said about jobs, taxes, he doesn’t care about how it affects anyone else. He’ll say whatever he wants to say and he’s solely about him…this is a rippling effect on people, small businesses, communities, Detroit itself, and it’s a travesty.” Watch here.