37 indictments. 7 guilty pleas. 100+ contacts. Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation—despite President Donald Trump’s hollow denials—is producing results.
This morning, longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone was arrested and indicted by the special counsel on seven charges, including obstruction, making false statements, and witness tampering.
Here’s what you need to know:
- This is the first indictment that directly shows collusion between the Trump team and Russia.
- Stone has been Trump’s associate for decades, and the two remained in contact following Stone’s departure from the campaign.
- Stone played a large role in the story of collusion as an intermediary between hackers and the Trump campaign. It wasn’t just WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange; Stone was also in communication with the Russian agents who hacked the DNC.
- It has always been clear that Trump ran the Trump campaign. He was completely in control of his campaign team. The Stone indictment is the latest in a long string of indictments linked to Trump campaign associates.
For all the latest on the Trump-Russia investigation, follow the @moscow_project.
35 DAYS FOR NOTHING.
Here’s the state of play on day 35 of the #TrumpShutdown:
- Trump’s Rose Garden surrender suggests that the shutdown should end before midnight tonight.
- The bottom line: Trump and his Republican cronies just shut the government down for 35 days for nothing.
- The 3-week stopgap funding bill includes $0 in funding for Trump’s unpopular and unnecessary border wall. That means Trump is exactly where he was 35 days ago—and 800,000 federal workers have been suffering for weeks over nothing more than the president’s pride.
- Why did Trump cave today? Perhaps it has something to do with drawing the public’s attention away from the implications of Stone’s arrest and indictment.
OFF-KILTER: FIGHTING POVERTY IN PHILLY.
On this week’s episode of Off-Kilter, Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney explains how he’s fighting poverty in the poorest big city in the U.S.
Listen to the episode here.