Director, Budget, Planning, and Forecasting
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 3
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a Finance Associate to assist with its budget and grant management. The Finance Associate will work together with the Budget team to advise project leads on budget management, including use of software, financial tracking, and expense forecasting. This individual will additionally support the Budget team in the development and reconciliation of forecasts as well as the management of grant financial proposals and reports. This is an ideal position for an enthusiastic and highly organized candidate who wants to learn about nonprofit operations at one of the leading think tanks in the country.
The Finance Associate will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. This work will include connecting the department’s policy efforts with the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
Budget and forecast support:
- Assist with the financial management of projects in an assigned portfolio, in consultation and coordination with other staff who focus on budgeting, planning, and forecasting. Aid with forecasting obligations, expenditures, and revenue for projects and departments in coordination with project leads and budget staff.
- Provide administrative analysis, reporting, and other materials to facilitate the review and decision-making on financial matters related to the projects.
- Use financial software to coordinate and produce financial reports at the grant, project, and/or department level for both internal and external audiences.
Project and proposal support:
- Support the management of grants for a portfolio of projects; alert the Director of Budget, Planning, and Forecasting and the Development department of any potential funding concerns or opportunities.
- Help prepare proposal budgets and funding reports to assist fundraising efforts.
- Serve as the financial liaison to coordinate between policy departments and the Development department.
- Prepare reports, ad hoc analysis, and project scenarios as needed for the Director of Budget, Planning, and Forecasting and the Development department.
- Authorize and monitor expenditures and purchases in concert with other project approvers across American Progress.
- Manage monthly expense reconciliations in a portfolio and in coordination with other staff who focus on budgeting, planning, and forecasting as well as accounting staff.
- Monitor all financial costs associated with projects within a portfolio and submit journal entries as necessary for corrections.
- Monitor teams’ compliance and advise them on institutional policies.
- Work on ad hoc financial assignments as requested by the Director of Budget, Planning, and Forecasting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience; some business administration, finance, economics, or accounting courses are preferred.
- A minimum of two years of related financial or administrative experience; some background in research, academic, financial, or nonprofit settings is preferred.
- Knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Some combination of project, budget, and/or grants management experience.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Flexible and capable of working in a fast-paced environment with shifting and competing priorities. Honesty and discretion are required, along with the ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a budgeted salary of $60,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.