RELEASE: CAP Action Memo: Trump’s Broken Promises to Michigan Working Families
Washington, D.C. — President Donald Trump has frequently promised Michigan families that he would be a champion for working people, and specifically that he would bring back manufacturing jobs, increase wages, lower the costs of prescription drugs, and provide affordable health care. In reality, his administration has failed to deliver on these promises—instead siding with insurance companies over people with preexisting conditions and signing a major tax bill that incentivized companies such as General Motors to move jobs overseas.
Click here to learn more about President Trump’s top broken promises to Michigan families.
Four facts on the Trump Administration’s policy record in Michigan:
- Trump promised Michigan voters, “[Y]ou won’t lose one plant. … The long nightmare of jobs leaving Michigan will be coming to a very rapid end.”
- Michigan has lost thousands of auto manufacturing jobs under Trump. Despite raking in billions in profits from Trump’s tax cut, General Motors is closing its Detroit-Hamtramck plant this year, leaving autoworkers such as Dnitra jobless and costing the community up to 16,000 jobs.
- Trump promised Michigan voters, “We are going to save health care for every family in Michigan … Much less expensive. Much better health care.”
- Trump has spent his entire presidency trying to take away coverage and protections from millions. In Michigan:
Profits and wages
- Trump promised Michigan workers, “We’re going to create great jobs and we’re going to get the wages up.”
- The Trump administration has taken away safeguards that ensure workers are paid overtime, protect retirees from exploitative financial advisors, and ensure that people pay less at the gas pump. In Michigan:
- Trump promised Michigan workers, “No one will gain more from tax cuts than low and middle-income Americans.”
- Most of Trump’s $2 trillion tax cut goes to corporations and the rich. Many Michigan families are getting stuck with the bill.
For more information on this topic or to speak with an expert, please contact Freedom Alexander Murphy at email@example.com 202-796-9712.