With Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin set to appear in Cedarburg today, here is a by-the-numbers examination of what their agenda will mean for the citizens of Wisconsin.
- 3.3 million people in Wisconsin have employer-based health insurance and are at risk of losing it under John McCain’s plan. [Source: CAPAF]
- 1.2 million people in Wisconsin with pre-existing conditions, currently covered by their employer, would find it particularly expensive or even impossible to get coverage under John McCain’s plan. [Source: CAPAF]
- A Wisconsin couple making $60,000 a year will see their taxes go up by $2,200 by 2013 under John McCain’s health plan. [Source: CAPAF]
- The average Wisconsin worker has seen their real wages decrease by $2,100 since 2000 under the economic policies of George W. Bush — policies that McCain would continue. [Source: Census]
- Wisconsin taxpayers will spend $640 million on subsidies for big oil and gas companies under John McCain over the next five years. [Source: CAPAF]
- Each Wisonsin family has paid $16,500 for the Iraq war since 2003. [NSN]
- There are 6,000 National Guard troops from Wisconsin deployed in Iraq, many of them on multiple deployments. [Wisconsin Dept. of Military Affairs]