With Trump set to address the nation tonight (in a disturbing capitulation by media outlets), here’s the state of play on day 18 of the #TrumpShutdown:
- First, don’t be fooled. Trump’s threats to declare a national emergency and force the military to build the border wall are both illegal and impractical.
- There is no emergency. Apprehensions at the Southern border are down almost 80% since 2000, from over 1.8 million people then to less than 400,000 people in 2018.
- Now in the third week of the shutdown, GOP representatives are starting to squirm. A top GOP aide warns that 15 to 25 Republicans could vote in favor of Democrats’ spending bills this week.
- The bipartisan National Governors Association is calling for an immediate end to the shutdown: “It is imperative that you reopen the government now and, then, reach across the aisle to find a solution that will end the current impasse.”
- The average of polls conducted since the start of the shutdown shows that about 55% of Americans blame Republicans/Trump. Around 50% think Trump is “most to blame.”
- Remember: The majority of Americans oppose a border wall in the first place.
Americans are suffering because of the #TrumpShutdown. The Senate must vote to reopen the government and end this sham.