Trump is the worst jobs president in American history
This piece was originally published in the August 7, 2020 edition of CAP Action’s daily newsletter, the Progress Report. Subscribe to the Progress Report here.
“Perhaps you mistook them for somebody who gives a damn.”
— Nancy Pelosi yesterday on why the GOP refuses to help marginalized Americans who are disproportionately affected by the coronavirus crisis
Trump is on track to be the first U.S. president in recorded history to lose jobs.
All presidents face tests. Trump is failing his miserably.
This morning, we found out that the U.S. still has a double-digit unemployment rate. The unemployment rates for Black and Latinx Americans are still markedly higher than that of white Americans. Nearly 160,000 Americans have died from the coronavirus.
It didn’t have to be like this. If Trump had acted sooner to combat the coronavirus, we could have saved lives and could be on track to return to normal by now.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- With just over 50 days left to complete the 2020 Census, more than half of states are falling behind the national self-response rate of 63.1%. CAP released a series of state-specific reports yesterday detailing the potential impact of an undercount in the 2020 Census — but before you read them, make sure you’ve completed the census yourself!
- The nation is facing a housing crisis. But private equity firms just see dollar signs. by Elizabeth Warren and Carroll Fife (Washington Post)
- America’s Moms Are Running on Empty. We Need to do More to Support Them. by Tammy Duckworth (TIME)
- Coming Next: The Greater Recession by Paul Krugman (New York Times)
- The Supreme Court’s Failed Response to the Coronavirus Pandemic by Stephanie Wylie (CAP)
- Worried About Mail Delays? Here are 4 Ways to Cast Your Ballot Without USPS by Marc Elias (Democracy Docket)
Like the Progress Report? Our team relies on the support of grassroots progressives like you. Chip in $5 or whatever you can to power our work.