American Progress has an immediate opening for a Speechwriter who will work with the organization’s President and Executive team to write speeches, op-eds, talking points, briefings, and other miscellaneous copy. The Speechwriter will also be responsible for staying up to date on all of American Progress’ policy initiatives and strategic objectives in order to most effectively communicate them in written materials. The job requires a very strong writer and editor, and the most qualified applicant will also be able to pay specific attention to the tone and argumentative structure for the executives for whom the applicant is writing.
- Write and edit assignments for the President of the organization that include but will not be limited to speeches, op-eds, presentations, and talking points.
- Assist on major American Progress products as determined by the President, Executive team, and Communications department.
- Compile thorough briefings for all public events that feature the President as a speaker or panelist.
- Write and research for the Executive team.
- Work in close collaboration with American Progress’ policy teams and Communications and External Affairs departments, coordinating workflow across multiple teams and topics.
- Stay abreast of American Progress’ policy initiatives and strategic objectives.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Substantial writing and research experience.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing, and research skills.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and complete writing assignments on tight deadlines.
- Strong judgment and the ability to advise Executive staff on strategies for speaking opportunities.
- Attributes of a team player.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills and the capacity to juggle competing priorities.
Strong commitment to advancing American Progress’ mission.
- Candidate should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.