American Progress seeks a Special Assistant to provide a variety of programmatic, administrative, and research-related tasks for the Economic Policy team. The team focuses on key policy areas related to the U.S. economy, including budget and taxes; consumer protection; employment and labor; financial markets; infrastructure; small business; trade; and general macroeconomics.
American Progress is looking for candidates who demonstrate attention to detail, an ability to juggle many tasks independently, and excellent writing skills. Strong candidates will also possess a background and interest in economic policy, which will help them support the team’s impact through programmatic, logistical, administrative, and research work. This position is located in Washington, D.C.
- Support original research and analysis on policy and legislative issues.
- Conduct literature reviews and assist in the drafting of columns, papers, and talking points.
- Proofread, fact-check, and edit documents as assigned.
- Handle administrative, scheduling, and other support duties for senior members of the Economic Policy team, assisting in the coordination and planning of meetings, events, travel, and donor or board reporting.
- Support management and coordination between various teams within American Progress, including Events, Finance, Legal, Press, and various outreach departments.
- Support the communications, press, and public facing outreach of the Economic Policy team, using social media to promote policies and message.
- Develop proficiency in assigned policy areas of responsibility.
- Form new ideas and creative lines of argument to advance these policy areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or minor in a relevant field, such as economics, political science, or social studies.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask, attend to detail, and work well under tight deadlines.
- Interest in economic analysis as well as the ability to handle simple tasks in Microsoft Excel.
- A deep interest in U.S. economic policy and a commitment to the organization’s progressive mission, values, and ideals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.