American Progress has an immediate opening for a Vice President of Human Resources. This position is responsible for directing all the organization’s human resources, in accordance with the policies and practices of American Progress; legal and other regulatory rulings; and industry best practices. The Vice President will work with the Chief Operating Officer to provide strategic human resource planning to various stakeholders. The Vice President will also supervise and manage day-to-day activities for the Human Resources team.
- Plan, develop, and direct American Progress’ human resource function and its performance.
- Work with the Senior Director of Talent Management and Diversity Initiatives on diversity and inclusion programs throughout American Progress.
- Develop progressive and proactive compensation and benefits programs to provide motivation, incentives, and rewards for effective performance.
- Liaise with senior leadership to provide guidance and recommendations for organizationwide initiatives.
- Serve as point of contact for employee relations issues in concert with General Counsel and Chief Operating Officer.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive performance appraisal process.
- Continue to improve programs, policies, practices, and processes associated with meeting the strategic human resources goals of the organization.
- Oversee other human resources functions, such as onboarding, training, recruitment, talent management, benefits, and compensation.
- Manage the budget and other financial measures of the Human Resources team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ten to 12 years of human resources and/or organizational development experience.
- PHR/SHRM-CP certification is preferred.
- Experience developing team structures and strategic vision.
- Proven leadership experience.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of employment law.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and sense of humor.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations.
- Strong commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.