American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Media Coordinator on the Communications team. The ideal candidate for this position is bilingual in English and Spanish. They will be responsible for daily outreach to ethnic media, including Spanish-language, African American, Asian American/Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaska Native, and international news outlets. The Senior Media Coordinator will also work closely with other members of the Communications team to identify American Progress products and research of interest to these communities and develop communications plans to disseminate the organization’s work to relevant news outlets and on social media. This position will also be responsible for handling communications strategy for American Progress’ Immigration policy team.
The Senior Media Coordinator will also be responsible for overseeing the American Progress en Español website, the @CAPespanol and @CAP_Accion Twitter accounts, and occasional Spanish-language episodes of American Progress’ podcast, Thinking CAP. Written translation responsibilities may include press materials and social media posts.
- Serve as the primary contact for ethnic media outreach.
- Write and pitch press releases to national, regional, and local press.
- Monitor daily print, online, and TV coverage in English and Spanish.
- Serve as the communications point person for American Progress’ immigration work.
- On occasion, draft and translate op-eds for Spanish-language outlets.
- On occasion, serve as a Spanish-language spokesperson for American Progress in print, radio, and TV across a variety of policy areas.
- Work with Spanish-speaking American Progress experts to further develop the organization’s ability to communicate with Spanish-language media.
- Keep abreast of the changing mainstream and ethnic media landscape, as well as maintain and update media contact lists.
- Develop innovative and creative media outreach ideas.
- Hire and supervise the ethnic media press intern.
- Oversee and maintain the American Progress en Español website, as well as the @CAPEspanol and @CAP_Accion social media accounts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or relevant degree.
- Two to four years of professional communications experience.
- The ideal candidate is fully bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Experience or interest in immigration policy is a plus.
- Nonprofit and political experience are a plus.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including translation experience.
- Experience working with reporters, pitching stories, and developing press strategies.
- Familiarity with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Medium.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.