American Progress has an immediate opening for a Video Associate to join its growing digital team. This person will support our in-house creative team with editing, animation, rapid-response video requests, and field shoots. The Video Associate will join a team with a mission to develop innovative and compelling video and graphic content that helps build the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
American Progress is looking for applicants who have the ability to envision and create compelling video content. Americans are more oversaturated with media than ever, and we’re looking for folks who can help create content that breaks through the clutter and grabs people’s attention—both in helping to tear down President Trump’s harmful policies and in building up the case for a progressive future.
The creative team this person will join works closely with the story bank team to identify compelling storytellers who lend themselves to strong creative products for distribution on a variety of platforms and contexts, including legislative fights and electoral races.
A strong candidate for this role is passionate about progressive politics with strong hands-on production and technical knowledge.
- Work with the rest of the creative team and broader CAP Action War Room to pitch, develop, and execute video projects that advance the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Use video to help translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Edit, animate, and subtitle rapid-response and storyteller videos.
- Manage livestreams and capture photos, interviews, and b-roll at events and on field shoots.
- Work closely with the broader digital and communications teams to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and audiences they are trying to reach.
- Coordinate with the story bank team to help develop compelling creative products from personal stories.
- Maintain trackers and creative archive cataloguing final videos, raw footage, still images, and performance analytics.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices for video online.
Requirements and qualifications:
- One to three years of professional experience working in video.
- Expertise in filming, editing, and producing video content with an emphasis on storytelling.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Experience with Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Excel.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders and meet tight deadlines.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.