American Progress has an immediate opening for an Executive Assistant on the Executive team. This position will involve organizing meetings and managing schedules for a member of the Executive team; researching, drafting, and editing materials; and performing other tasks as needed. This position calls for a clear communicator with stellar judgment and discretion who can manage important relationships and projects, is highly organized and detail oriented, maintains the ability to prioritize competing demands, and provides timely and concise information. The right candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment. Applicants must have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide administrative support to the member of the Executive team, including scheduling, booking travel, preparing research memos, notetaking, and other duties as needed.
- Provide a range of research support on key policy areas to the member of the Executive team, including reading and summarizing existing research, and more.
- Draft policy briefing memos, formal speeches, talking points, and other written materials as needed.
- Maintain a high level of organization to ensure the member of the Executive team is able to accomplish daily tasks and long-term responsibilities efficiently.
- Exercise judgment on priority of tasks, meetings, incoming materials for review, pending decisions, and messages.
- Prepare briefing books or other briefing materials as needed.
- Communicate effectively with senior management, donors, and others on the behalf of the Executive team member.
- Handle confidential and nonroutine information and matters.
- Take on special projects.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to four years of prior experience in administrative support, policy or political research, or another relevant role.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills to interact professionally and diplomatically with a wide range of staff and external stakeholders.
- Sensitivity in navigating progressive politics and policies.
- Displays willingness and curiosity to learn about new areas and subjects.
- Exceptionally well-organized and detail oriented.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not part of the bargaining unit and is budgeted for approximately $40,000 annually.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.