The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Director of Audience Development to run the organization’s amplification and distribution efforts and build hypertargeted strategies to reach key audiences. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This is a limited-term position that is funded through December 1, 2020.
- Content distribution: Build out a program that dramatically expands the Climate War Room’s digital content amplification and distribution efforts. Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices for digital content distribution.
- Tracking: Track and report on who engages with Climate War Room content.
- Outreach: Work with the Surrogates Program Director and Social Media Manager to build out and manage state-based and issue-based influencer and stakeholder lists. Pitch content to and help cultivate relationships with digital leads for key influencers and stakeholders, progressive candidates, elected officials, relevant Twitter and Facebook groups, and coalition partners.
- Coordination: Oversee and manage the day-to-day execution of the Climate War Room’s digital coordination efforts, including drafting email updates and managing and moderating Twitter direct message groups and Facebook group conversations.
- Audience targeting: Work closely with the Digital Strategy, Communications, story bank, and campaigns teams to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and audiences that American Progress is trying to reach.
- Content creation: Help brainstorm innovative and creative digital content ideas that help move the needle on American Progress’ core fights and resonate with target audiences.
- Paid media: Manage and execute paid media buys on Facebook and Google Search.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least eight years of professional experience in social media, audience development, or digital content creation. Electoral campaign experience is a plus.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Detail oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, oftentimes in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- Familiarity with Facebook Insights, Twitter analytics, and other social listening tools.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Collaborative and fun to work with.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
This position offers a full and competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.