American Progress is seeking a human resources professional with expertise in compensation structures and benefits administration. This position reports to the Vice President of Human Resources and works closely with the Human Resources team to provide service to about 300 employees. They will be responsible for the day-to-day administration of American Progress’ benefits plans and programs, ensuring that staff fully understand and enroll in plans according to their eligibility and that American Progress fully complies with all laws and regulations associated with employee benefits. They will also help to develop, implement, and support compensation programs and processes, including benchmarking activities, the annual salary increase process, and employee communications regarding compensation. This position will work closely with the Managing Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to ensure that compensation programs are equitable throughout the organization.
We are seeking candidates with outstanding attention to detail, exceptional customer service, and the ability to keep up with ever-changing compliance regulations.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations concerning pay and benefits—including the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)—and keep up to date with new regulations as enacted.
- Effectively communicate benefits information to employees in order to ensure that staff fully utilize available plans.
- Manage the insurance renewal process through brokers to maximize benefits available to staff at reasonable cost to the organization, ensuring that staff fully understand changes.
- Build effective relationships with brokers and vendors in order to resolve problems with plan administration or employee claims as needed.
- Ensure that monthly bills and claims are both accurate and paid timely.
- Recommend changes to benefits plans and processes as needed.
- Review biweekly payroll to ensure that benefits deductions are accurate.
- Coordinate Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) parental, disability, and family leave for staff, ensuring that benefits and responsibilities are communicated clearly and that documentation is received.
- Recommend updates to the employee handbook as needed.
- Provide benefits overview at new hire orientations.
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Assist with developing, implementing, and supporting compensation programs and processes.
- Research and monitor market conditions to ensure fair and equitable compensation practices that allow American Progress to attract the best talent.
- Coordinate the annual salary increase process to ensure that all staff understand processes and parameters, so that pay increases are processed in a timely manner.
- Communicate with staff about compensation issues.
- Ensure equitable pay ranges for all positions internally.
- Review positions to ensure that they are classified correctly in the appropriate levels.
- Assist with writing and revising job descriptions as needed, determining position classifications, and preparing and updating compensation ranges.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least five years of experience in human resources with a bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field—or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong understanding of HR information and payroll systems such as Ceridian, Paycom, ADP, or other similar systems
- Demonstrated ability to comply with the vast array of compensation and benefits laws and regulations.
- Outstanding attention to detail, with excellent ability to follow up on processes and documents.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to communicate complex information to staff.
- Ability to appropriately handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and a sense of humor.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is budgeted for $75,000 annually.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.