The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Video Director to lead the organization’s video strategy by developing innovative and compelling video and graphic content that builds the emotional and visual case for climate action. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This is a limited-term position that is funded through December 1, 2020.
- Management: Manage the Climate War Room’s video team and project manage, optimize, and execute video projects that advance the Climate War Room’s strategic goals.
- Content creation: Work with Climate War Room teams to advance advocacy goals by using video to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages. Identify opportunities to repackage and recut existing footage that fits into Climate War Room campaigns and allows the team to better capitalize on rapid-response opportunities. Optimize and version out Climate War Room video products for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to maximize key performance indicators, including video views, shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Rapid response: Edit, animate, and subtitle rapid-response videos.
- Audience targeting: Work closely with the broader digital and communications teams to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and targets audiences for Climate War Room campaigns.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least eight years of professional experience editing and producing video content for major political, advocacy, or news organizations. Electoral experience is a plus.
- Extensive experience working in Adobe Creative Cloud, including Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Outstanding project management skills and proficiency in Excel.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS is preferred.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
- Climate advocacy experience is a plus.
This position offers a full and competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.