The Center for American Progress Action Fund Climate Power team has an immediate opening for a Senior Communications Director to lead the organization’s strategic communications strategy to elevate climate and clean energy solutions into the political conversation and identify opportunities to shift the national political narrative. The Senior Communications Director will work with the senior management team to set campaign and policy priorities for Climate Power and lead a communications team of six or more staff.
Climate Power will use hard-hitting research, polling, earned media, paid media, and creative digital content to build the political will and public support needed for climate action in 2021. The team will elevate the threat of climate change to spur a national conversation on solutions; embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate policy action; and wage an offensive campaign against climate deniers and their fossil fuel industry backers.
Climate Power is an independently run project created by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club. Climate Power is focused on driving aggressive digital and communications strategies to build the political will and public support needed for bold climate action.
- Drive ambitious communications strategies: Create, manage, and execute communications strategies to win climate policies and embolden lawmakers to take climate action. Conduct frequent and consistent outreach to political and environmental reporters and columnists and develop and place opinion pieces.
- Integrate communications approach across Climate Power: Work closely across the organization to ensure that a strategic communications lens is integrated into all campaigns and efforts.
- Build a nimble communications operation: Identify rapid-response opportunities and prioritize responses to developing news stories; manage press and surrogate outreach.
- Develop and coordinate messaging: Collaborate with senior staff and campaigns team to develop messaging for use by Climate Power’s advisory board, surrogates, partners, and allies across the climate movement.
- Act as spokesperson: Serve as a spokesperson for Climate Power, as needed, and develop other campaign voices for Climate Power.
- Engage and grow Climate Power’s surrogate network: Engage the diverse voices of environmental leaders, state policymakers, youth activists, and people affected by climate change for media opportunities and to tell the story of climate action.
- Collaborate with the climate movement: Build relationships with communications teams of other organizations, campaigns, elected officials, coalitions, stakeholders, and other high-level partners including celebrities, and engage in campaign pushes.
- Evaluate results: Monitor and evaluate the impact of the communications team; establish key metrics, analyze results, and adjust strategies when necessary.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Eight or more years of communications experience, including advocacy campaign experience, is required. Climate advocacy experience is a plus.
- Deep communications experience with a track record of success in the current media landscape.
- Strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies.
- Able to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
This position offers a full and competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a temporary position funded through March 31, 2021.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.