American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Health Policy. In conjunction with the Vice President and Managing Director of the Health Policy team, the Director will develop a long-term policy and research strategy for developing and advancing policy proposals to lower health care costs and improve health care coverage, affordability, and quality. The position requires strong analytical, communication, and management skills.
With the Vice President and Managing Director, the Director will also have day-to-day responsibility for managing activities related to American Progress’ State Health Policy Project (SHPP). The SHPP engages with governors’ offices and state health secretaries to design and advance polices in targeted areas. The SHPP provides research and analysis, policy development, and advocacy support to states. It also elevates innovative state actions and best practices that can be expanded to the federal level.
- Research, write, and edit key policy reports and other materials as needed, including conducting original quantitative and qualitative research and policy analysis and translating findings for a broader audience.
- Help determine appropriate written and analytic work to be conducted by other team members.
- Manage American Progress’ SHPP and develop a long-term policy and research strategy for the program.
- Work with key partners to develop and implement legislative and political strategies at both the state and federal levels.
- Liaise with state government officials to help develop and implement progressive health policy initiatives.
- Liaise with members of Congress and Capitol Hill staff to understand and support positive policy ideas or stand up to oppose harmful policy changes.
- Represent American Progress in coalitions.
- Represent American Progress as a spokesperson in all forms of media as necessary to promote the team’s health policy agenda.
- Plan and implement public and private events, meetings, summits, conferences, and other special events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree is preferred.
- Eight years of experience in health care policy development or research or a related field.
- Effective supervisory skills and ability to manage, mentor, and lead staff.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including the ability to conduct both quantitative and qualitative research.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to initiate and engage in creative approaches to advancing policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of legislative and administrative policymaking processes.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
The following are not required but are preferred:
- Experience analyzing federal and state health system data and the ability to oversee staff conducting research using these datasets.
- Federal or state legislative or executive branch experience related to health policy.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $90,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.