American Progress has an immediate opening for an Administrative and Operations Coordinator or Associate on the K-12 Education team at American Progress. The team is devoted to generating pragmatic and progressive new policy ideas to advance education reform in the United States. The Coordinator or Associate will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The team’s work focuses on several priority areas, including applying an explicit race equity lens to education policymaking; reimagining public education; recruiting and retaining effective teachers and principals; guaranteeing equitable access to K-12 opportunities in preparation for the future of work; and ensuring public schools are funded equitably in support of all students receiving access to a quality education. The Administrative and Operations Coordinator or Associate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s education policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Serve as confidential assistant to the team lead, maintaining strict confidence on sensitive matters.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage for the K-12 Education team’s work.
- Track metrics associated with teamwide work plans.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files.
- Provide project management of cross-team collaborations.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences as needed.
- Develop briefing materials in advance of team lead appointments.
- Coordinate development of quarterly EdProgress newsletter.
- Coordinate social media strategy in partnership with research associates.
- Provide logistical support for all-staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Occasionally draft and/or edit letters, invitations, memos, and other documents.
- Travel when needed, between 10 percent and 20 percent of responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least two years of professional experience providing administrative support to a senior leader for the Coordinator position and at least four years of experience for the Associate position.
- An associate degree in business administration or management may be used as a substitute for the required years of experience at the Coordinator level, and a bachelor’s degree may be used for the Associate level.
- Advanced project management skills.
- Comfort working under pressure/tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team.
- Self-starter who seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Increasing responsibility and experience with effectively managing staff.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
The following are not required but are a plus:
- Data analytical skills.
- Experience with grassroots and/or nonprofit organizations.
- Experience staffing c-suite executives.
- Experience with leaders engaged in coalition work or government.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 union. The starting salary for the Coordinator is $46,000. The starting salary for the Associate is $50,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.