The Senior Vice President for Inclusive Growth and Coordinator for Building an Economy for All will lead in executing American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” This leader will be a creative and analytical thought partner with team leads, bringing approaches for effectively and sustainably growing the economy, including by maximizing inclusion and equity. In coordinating American Progress’ efforts on building an economy for all, this leader also will be expected to see and execute on points of connectivity with the organization’s five cross-cutting priorities.
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
This position requires developing, communicating, and moving toward implementing policy ideas that provide a new way forward for a range of challenges in an increasingly diverse America. The Senior Vice President and Coordinator will create a department work plan to connect the work of individual teams with American Progress’ cross-cutting priorities and develop departmentwide annual objectives with measurable outcomes. They will be expected to coordinate policy analysis and substantial research and writing for the department, while also working on relevant ideas and issues across American Progress. The Senior Vice President and Coordinator will also manage the department’s budget and relationships with outside stakeholders, including ally organizations, policymakers, and the media.
This leader will have the opportunity to further build and manage a dynamic, high-performing department. They will think strategically about turning ideas into action, working with teams within their department and collaborating across American Progress, as well as working in coalition with other organizations. This leader will be expected to raise funds commensurate with the strategy and build-out plans developed in line with American Progress’ cross-cutting priorities and to support the Inclusive Growth Department. The ideal candidate will have a strong command and understanding of policy and politics regarding inclusive growth; facility with government institutions at the local, state, or federal level; senior executive or legislative branch experience; and relationships with key players in the field.
- Provide day-to-day management for the Economic Policy, Health, Poverty to Prosperity, and Women’s Initiative teams. Collaborate with them, and functional advocacy and communications leads, to develop the department’s policy agenda, lead the economy for all cross-cutting priority, and participate in American Progress’ other priority efforts.
- Work with the the Executive Vice President for Policy to set the strategic direction for inclusive growth, including through the development of cross-cutting efforts and fundraising strategies.
- Manage the department budget and, in coordination with the Executive Vice President for Policy and the Development Department, fundraise to meet the Inclusive Growth Department’s work plan and support American Progress’ cross-cutting work.
- Represent the department with the public, media, and other outside groups and individuals.
- Promote the department and team priorities and work products both inside and outside the organization.
- Assist colleagues and guide the department in crafting timely policy reports and rapid-response documents to ensure relevant participation in policy debates with an eye toward shaping outcomes.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to relevant policy debates in Congress and/or the administration.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree is preferred.
- Knowledge and senior experiential expertise, as well as a proven track record.
- Skills and extensive experience managing peers or otherwise senior staff and actively participating in cross-team and cross-organizational efforts.
- Significant knowledge of federal policymaking and experience working with Congress and federal agencies, as well as established relationships with policymakers, advocates, and community leaders inside Washington, D.C., and in the states.
- Excellent presentation and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills; quantitative skills are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic, long-term plans and implement them successfully.
- Strong political instincts and experience working with coalitions.
- Experience with fundraising and managing budgets.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.