American Progress has an immediate opening for an Administrative and Project Coordinator or Associate in the Structural Reform and Governance department at American Progress. The newly organized department incorporates three existing teams (Democracy Policy, Courts and Legal Policy, and Technology Policy) and is dedicated to taking swift action to strengthen the guardrails of democracy and doing so in a way that equips it to serve as a force for good. The Coordinator or Associate will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The department’s work focuses on several priority areas, including ensuring that our democracy delivers for all Americans and that government and public institutions are efficient, effective, and aligned with democratic values; accessible to all Americans and representative of the people they serve; and transparent and accountable.
The Administrative and Project Coordinator or Associate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the entire department’s policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Serve as executive assistant to the Senior Vice President leading the department, including coordinating their schedule, developing briefing materials in advance of their appointments, and maintaining strict confidence on sensitive matters.
- Provide project management of cross-team collaborations.
- Track metrics associated with teamwide work plans and coordinate with staff to ensure timely completion and review of projects.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences for teams within the department.
- Provide logistical support for all-staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage for the department’s work.
- Coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Occasionally research, draft, and/or edit letters, invitations, memos, and other documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least two years of professional experience providing administrative support to a senior leader or project management for the Coordinator position and at least four years of experience for the Associate position.
- An associate’s degree in a related field may be used as a substitute for the required years of experience at the Coordinator level, and a bachelor’s degree may be used for the Associate level.
- Advanced project management skills.
- Comfort working under pressure/tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team.
- Self-starter who seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Responsibility and experience with effectively managing staff.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
The following are not required but are a plus:
- Data analytical skills.
- Experience with grassroots and/or nonprofit organizations.
- Experience staffing C-suite executives.
- Experience with leaders engaged in coalition work or government.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 union. The starting salary for the Coordinator is $46,000. The starting salary for the Associate is $50,000.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.