American Progress is seeking a highly motivated and organized professional with a strong advocacy and organizing background, plus an understanding of strategic communications, to serve as the Advocacy Associate for Generation Progress.
Generation Progress is a national education and advocacy organization, housed within American Progress, that works with and for young adults ages 18 to 35 to promote progressive solutions to key political and social challenges. Generation Progress animates the stakes of political and policy debates by driving analysis, messaging, and personal stories of key issues that demonstrate the value of progressive solutions and highlight the true cost of conservative policies through a gender justice, racial justice, and LGBTQ equity lens. Generation Progress’ priority issue areas are gun violence prevention, criminal justice reform, immigration reform, climate change, and student debt.
This role will have two sets of responsibilities with equal weight. The first includes mobilizing 18- to 35-year-olds to engage in meaningful action on gun violence prevention and criminal justice reform. The Advocacy Associate will deepen and build support of progressive issues through online organizing and communications; assist in the development and implementation of campaign plans that drive priorities; and coordinate stakeholder engagement. The Advocacy Associate will prioritize gun violence prevention and criminal justice reform but is additionally expected to be flexible to work on a variety of Generation Progress issues.
The second set of responsibilities includes managing and growing the #Fight4AFuture Network. This network was the first intentional and national effort to reach out to young people on the issue of gun violence. It is a network specifically designed for advocates ages 18 to 35, many of whom are directly affected by gun violence and the harms of the criminal justice system. #Fight4AFuture comprises activists, artists, students, elected officials, young professionals, and others from around the country who are passionate about making communities safer and more equal. The Advocacy Associate will support the network by coordinating programming throughout the year and planning for the network’s annual summit, which brings together between 50 and 80 network members from around the country for leadership development, networking, and strategy sessions.
- Collaborate with the Generation Progress advocacy and communications teams as well as various American Progress policy teams to produce and distribute advocacy materials, including issue analyses, blog posts, fact sheets, op-eds, video content, campaign messages, and campaign strategies that are tailored to Generation Progress’ audience.
- Assist in the development of strategic and targeted advocacy campaigns using Generation Progress’ extensive email network, social media presence, and national media and communications reach.
- Serve as the point person for the #Fight4AFuture Network through recruitment, stakeholder engagement, and use of CRM software.
- Participate in planning and executing substantive events, briefings, and meetings across a range of progressive organizations, advocacy groups, and other stakeholders, including but not limited to the #Fight4AFuture Summit.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with #Fight4AFuture network members.
- Track and analyze the performance of Generation Progress projects, including but not limited to events and advocacy materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least one year of work experience in campaigns, advocacy, or related fields is preferred.
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice from the grassroots up.
- A strong, entrepreneurial self-starter with the motivation to engage progressive 18- to 35-year-olds nationwide, with a focus on Generation Progress’ five target cities for 2020.
- A proven track record of collaborating with a diverse group of external stakeholders and advocacy groups.
- Desire to work collaboratively with people of different backgrounds.
- Familiarity and experience with gun violence prevention and/or criminal justice reform efforts.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships, including experience carrying out one-on-ones and other community organizing techniques.
- Ability to learn new policy issues quickly, and an interest in or experience with gun violence prevention and criminal justice reform.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work on a team and across organizations.
- Ability to identify equity and opportunity gaps and build messaging rooted in principles of equity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment under the pressure of deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and succinctly share engaging ideas with audiences who may not be steeped in the topic.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. This position is budgeted for $46K.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.