Senior Vice President, Production
Staff reporting to this position:
Nonexempt, full time; Union - Level 2
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Assistant Editor to join its Production team. The Assistant Editor serves primarily as a copyeditor for American Progress, helping assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to daily columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment, the Assistant Editor also helps with the daily production of the website.
The successful candidate will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Copyedit American Progress’ products, including reports, issue briefs, columns, and other content for both print and web.
- Copyedit, post content on, and update AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Maintain the house style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Write headlines, blurbs, and photo captions, and select photos.
- Work on the conception and execution of special websites and projects.
- Provide operational support to the Production team, including scheduling meetings; processing and filing forms; managing pipelines; tracking invoices and payments; and providing other administrative support when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- One to two years of editing experience with an online component is a plus.
- Excellent editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong ability to work under time pressure and to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly the ability to give feedback and instructions clearly but diplomatically.
- Meticulous organizational skills and strong problem-solving capabilities, especially the ability to keep track of many small moving parts across several distinct projects.
- Familiarity with AP Style is a plus.
- Experience with HTML, XML, and CSS is a plus.
- Experience with WordPress and Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $53,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.