Associate Director of Partnerships, Digital Advocacy
Director of Partnerships
Staff reporting to this position: None initially, with the potential to change
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 6
Minimum compensation: $77,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director of Partnerships to support the Digital Advocacy team’s coordination and amplification efforts to build the case for progressive policies and values.
With Americans facing an increasing volume of news and media content, it has never been more important to amplify progressive policies and build the necessary communications infrastructure to break through the noise and reach key audiences—and American Progress is committed to leading the way. The Associate Director will be part of a team that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
A strong candidate for this role will work as part of a team that builds relationships across the progressive political landscape to promote messaging and content—ultimately improving the performance and reach of progressive policy content online. They will have a keen understanding of how content gets disseminated across digital platforms as well as strong relationships throughout the progressive movement. The Associate Director of Partnerships’ responsibilities include managing relationships with other progressive operatives and organizations; identifying opportunities for expansion, collaboration, and engagement with political partners; and supporting the development and execution of the Partnerships team’s strategy.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Associate Director will be part of a dynamic Advocacy and Outreach department that supports work across our strategic priorities, including:
- Ensuring that Americans see, feel, and understand the difference progressive economic policies make in their lives
- Exposing and driving a narrative to combat the threats posed by the extreme MAGA policy agenda
This is a full-time position funded for one year—with the opportunity for extensions.
- Collaborate with the Director of Partnerships to develop and execute plans for identifying, tracking, cultivating, and strengthening American Progress’ external relationships.
- Work closely with the Director of Partnerships to help supervise team members at the manager and associate levels, with the potential to directly manage team members.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration and/or engagement with CAP Action partners, including pitching content for promotion on social media, video collaborations, messaging strategy, and more.
- Manage day-to-day execution of the Digital Advocacy team’s distribution efforts with political partners, including overseeing communications within our partner Slack community—Rise.
- Identify areas to expand and deepen CAP Action’s political partnerships work; develop specific, measurable goals for those areas of work, and report out on metrics and progress.
- Manage a designated portfolio of key political partners and identify tailored opportunities for engagement.
- Oversee planning and execution of events and trainings for partners.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices for digital content distribution.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least six years of professional experience, including at least four years of experience in political advocacy, community organizing, or social media.
- Previously demonstrated team leadership skills and a high level of competency in a supervisory role where applicable.
- Strong relationships with digital and communications operatives throughout the progressive movement.
- Expert networking skills.
- Proactive attitude and a self-starter.
- Political experience on a campaign or with an advocacy group or nonprofit is a plus.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- Creative and committed to innovation and experimentation.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $77,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to americanprogressaction.vipdev.lndo.site.