Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst, Gun Violence Prevention
Senior Director, Gun Violence Prevention
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Rights and Justice
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $60,000/$68,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst for Gun Violence Prevention in its Rights and Justice department.
The Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst will assist the Senior Director for Gun Violence Prevention to advance American Progress’ agenda toward reducing gun violence. This position will assist the department and team with conducting policy research and analysis and writing about gun violence and related issues at the national, state, and local levels.
The work of the Gun Violence Prevention team and the Rights and Justice department is driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. This position will support efforts to achieve meaningful outcomes by connecting gun violence prevention policy with the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
The ideal candidate will have excellent research, writing, coalition-building, and analytical skills. Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals, both internally and externally, are required. Familiarity with the issue of gun violence is preferred.
- Conduct and support original research and analysis on gun violence prevention policy questions.
- Develop, implement, and manage products—including reports, issue briefs, and articles—to elevate American Progress’ gun violence agenda in ways that increase opportunities to improve policy outcomes.
- Work across American Progress policy teams and within the Rights and Justice department on the intersection of gun violence and other issues.
- Build and maintain relationships across the gun violence prevention policy community, including with local, state, and federal legislators; gun violence prevention advocates; and allied nongovernmental and policy organizations.
- Provide research support on gun violence prevention issues.
- Assist with general editorial duties and maintaining the team’s digital presence.
- Maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Present American Progress’ work through presentations and meetings with policymakers, coalitions, and other thought leaders.
- Coordinate and help plan meetings and events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; an advanced degree in public policy, public health, or a related field is a plus for the Senior Policy Analyst role.
- Strong written, analytical, and oral communication skills, including the ability to write in a variety of formats, such as op-eds, talking points, and memos.
- Ability to understand policy issues and to communicate them effectively.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well as part of a team and with other organizations.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to advance a policy goal.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Ability to perform under tight deadlines and manage many moving pieces and concurrent projects.
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $60,000, and the Senior Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $68,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.