Senior Director, Health Policy
Senior Vice President, Inclusive Growth
Staff reporting to this position: Health Policy team
Department: Inclusive Growth
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 8
Minimum compensation: $125,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
The Senior Director for Health Policy will lead the Health Policy team and guide American Progress’ work to ensure that health care is affordable and accessible to all; to fortify the U.S. public health system; and to provide all Americans with the opportunity to achieve their full health potential. This effort is part of American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Senior Director will be expected to identify ways in which policies that improve health intersect with each of the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
The Senior Director will supervise members of the Health Policy team and also manage American Progress’ relationships with outside stakeholders on health policy, including ally organizations, federal and state policymakers, and the media. The position requires overseeing and executing projects involving policy analysis, research, and writing, as well as driving collaboration with experts across American Progress.
The Senior Director will lead strategy development to turn ideas into action, engaging with staff throughout American Progress as well as outside coalitions and other organizations. The ideal candidate will have a strong command of issues in health policy; facility with federal health care programs and policymaking processes at the local, state, or federal level; executive or legislative branch experience; and relationships with key players in the field.
- Provide day-to-day management for the Health Policy team and develop its policy, research, and communications agenda.
- Work with the department’s Senior Vice President and the Executive Vice President for Policy to set the strategic direction for health policy.
- Play a role in managing the Health Policy team’s budget and assist with fundraising efforts to meet the team’s policy work plan.
- Represent the Health Policy team to the public, media, and other outside groups and individuals.
- Promote team priorities and work products both inside and outside American Progress.
- Assist colleagues and guide the team in crafting timely policy reports and rapid-response documents to ensure relevant participation in policy debates.
- Update American Progress staff regularly on news and events related to relevant policy debates in Congress and/or the administration.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Commitment to the American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree is preferred.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience.
- Knowledge and experiential expertise as well as a proven track record in health policy.
- Knowledge of federal policymaking and experience working with Congress and federal agencies.
- Must have established relationships with policymakers, advocates, and community leaders inside Washington, D.C., and in the states.
- Excellent presentation and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills; quantitative skills are a plus.
- Experience with fundraising and managing budgets is a plus.
- Skills and experience in managing a team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic, long-term plans and implement them successfully.
- Strong political instincts and experience working with coalitions.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a minimum salary of $125,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to americanprogressaction.vipdev.lndo.site.