Senior Director, Creative
Staff reporting to this position:
Director of Video
Nonexempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Video Producer to join its growing Production team. This team’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling video and graphic content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
The Video Producer must have the ability to envision and create compelling video content. The public is more overwhelmed with content than ever; the Video Producer will have a deep understanding of how to create, optimize, and organize video content to break through the clutter and grab people’s attention.
A strong candidate for this role will have the technical skills and strategic perspective to produce, edit, and manage video projects for all digital platforms—with an emphasis on optimizing content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Experience with motion graphics (Adobe After Effects) is required.
The successful candidate will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. They will join a dynamic team of colleagues who support American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Project manage, optimize, and execute video projects that advance American Progress’ strategic goals.
- Work with American Progress’ leadership and policy teams to advance advocacy goals by using video to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Identify opportunities to repackage and recut existing footage that fits into current American Progress campaigns and allows the team to better capitalize on rapid-response opportunities.
- Optimize and version out American Progress’ video products for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to maximize key performance indicators, including video views, shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Edit, animate, and subtitle rapid-response and storyteller videos.
- Organize and execute recordings both in the studio and in the field.
- Work with policy teams to write video scripts.
- Work closely with the Digital Strategy team and the broader Communications department to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and target audiences for the organization’s priority campaigns.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in video.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional work experience.
- At least three to five years of professional experience editing and producing video content for major political, advocacy, and news organizations or production agencies.
- Experience with filming in the studio and in the field, including with cameras, lighting, and sound.
- Extensive experience working in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. Knowledgeable about the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Outstanding project management skills and proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to visualize news content conceptually and creatively.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Creative, with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail-oriented, with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
- Ability to travel for shoots, if necessary.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $61,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.