Data Analyst, Digital Advocacy
Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships, Digital Advocacy
Staff reporting to this position:
Advocacy and Outreach
Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Data Analyst to join the Digital Advocacy team’s organic social media analytics program. This position will support digital strategies and messaging across the progressive landscape.
With Americans facing an increasing onslaught of news and media content, it has never been more important to amplify progressive policies and build up the necessary communications infrastructure to break through the noise and reach key audiences—and American Progress is committed to leading the way.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
The ideal candidate for this role will have strong analytical skills, an interest in digital communication, and demonstrated success in team environments. The Advocacy and Outreach department’s Digital Analytics team is responsible for developing centralized expertise on organic social media to support stakeholders within American Progress and across the progressive space. This team identifies emerging narratives, potential disinformation threats, and best practices on ever-changing platforms, working in close collaboration with the department’s Content Strategy and Partnerships verticals.
This is a full-time position funded for one year, with opportunities for extensions. The budgeted salary for this position is $65,000.
- Working closely with the Director and Associate Director of Analytics on the Digital Advocacy team, help expand the scope of the organization’s social media analytics program to support partners across the digital landscape and maximize the reach of progressive messaging.
- Help maintain the Digital Advocacy team’s universe of pages to monitor with social listening tools and identify opportunities for expansion.
- Develop recurring reports for a wide range of stakeholders—internal and external—that provide clear and actionable insights.
- Create analytics dashboards and data visualizations around specific political moments, partners, or areas of inquiry.
- Conduct analysis on social media data to identify emerging voices, rapid changes in online conversations, and evolving best practices for maximizing reach online.
- Support the growing Digital Advocacy’s analytics team by contributing to documentation, project management, and standardization of systems.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least three years of professional experience in data analytics, marketing, or other digital media roles with quantitative responsibilities.
- Competency in at least one of the following: SQL, R, Python, or an equivalent data analysis language.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, especially in presenting quantitative insights.
- Familiarity with Git or other version control systems.
- Familiarity with social media and social measurement strategies is a plus.
- Proactive and a self-starter.
- Experience with a political campaign or with an advocacy group or nonprofit is a plus.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response situations.
- Creative and committed to innovation and experimentation.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a budgeted salary of $65,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.