Digital Platforms Strategist
Associate Director of Digital Platforms, Digital Strategy
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a Digital Platforms Strategist to research and advise on best practices for digital channels and their unique strategic audiences as well as employ technological resources to solve or resource solutions. This individual will collaborate with functional and policy teams to create content that grows and engages American Progress’ strategic audiences by providing unique value.
The Digital Platforms Strategist will be responsible for identifying strategic content distribution opportunities, managing projects, and producing cross-channel content.
Digital platforms experience, strong news sensibilities, familiarity with digital tools, and attention to detail are a must. Strong candidates for this role must be able to view the progressive policy and media landscape from both a bird’s-eye and a grassroots view, collaborate with stakeholders and manage multiple projects at the same time, and use excellent communication and time management skills to keep projects on track.
This individual will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Digital Platforms Strategist will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Maintain and develop innovative strategies for cross-channel distribution opportunities, including web, online actions, social, and email, across American Progress-owned and associated channels, partner experiences, and organic marketing.
- Project manage and create powerful content for social, web, online actions, and email in partnership with the Digital Strategy team and other communications colleagues as well as policy departments and other stakeholders.
- Maintain shared content and email strategy calendars.
- Research and advise the Digital Strategy team on new and existing platforms.
- Marry input from the Audience Research and Analytics subteams to advise the Platforms subteam on the best distribution models.
- Work closely with the Technology Development subteam on creation or acquisition of digital tools in support of team and organizational goals.
- Use analytics tools including but not limited to Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Hootsuite, and native analytics on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to make data-driven decisions and extract learnings.
- Assist in management of American Progress enterprise channels.
- Lead on developing and reporting on testing road maps.
- Deliver regular analytics readouts and learnings.
- Assist with weekly email production and quality assurance (QA).
- Lead on coverage of major live events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Three to five years of professional experience that includes two to four years working in digital communications.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and politics and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong eye for visual content.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Ability to juggle multiple pieces on different deadlines in a given day.
- Ability to take initiative on ideas and projects and follow through to deliver results.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills and a great attention to detail.
- Preferred: familiarity with Meltwater, TweetDeck, platform-specific analytics, Sprout Social, Hootsuite, or similar platforms.
- Preferred: experience using email and marketing software and platforms such as Engaging Networks or Salesforce.
- Preferred: experience using social media listening and management tools.
- Proficiency with HTML and image editing.
- Proficiency with Excel and Google Sheets.
- Proficiency with CSS, quality assurance processes, and email template building/editing are all bonuses.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $61,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.