Events Video Producer
Video Director, Production
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Minimum compensation: $60,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Events Video Producer to join its growing creative team. American Progress hosts a diverse range of events with progressive leaders and policy experts to support its mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. American Progress is looking for applicants who have the ability to envision and create compelling videos to amplify the organization’s events for its broadcast and beyond.
The ideal candidate for this role should have the technical skills to broadcast and live switch events. Working with the Events team, the candidate should also have the strategic ability to produce, edit, and manage promotional material, in-program interstitials, and wrap-up and post-event videos. The ideal candidate knows how to optimize these videos for all digital platforms, with an emphasis on optimizing content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. The Events Video Producer will interact with internal and external stakeholders and must be able to work under pressure and multitask effectively.
The public is more overwhelmed than ever, and American Progress is looking to bring on an Events Video Producer with a deep understanding of how to create, optimize, and organize video content that will break through the clutter and grab people’s attention. The producer’s work will support all departments in their efforts to achieve American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Support the Events team with video production of virtual and in-person events.
- Operate production equipment, including audio consoles, video switchers, pan-tilt-zoom cameras, and wireless microphones.
- Film sit-down interviews with a three-camera setup.
- Produce, script, edit, and publish videos for events, including promotional material, in-program interstitials, post-event videos, and more.
- Optimize and create different versions of American Progress events video products for live broadcasting, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to maximize key performance indicators, including video views, shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Help advise and train internal and external stakeholders on technical capabilities for virtual and in-person events. Instruct users in basic operation of equipment.
- Troubleshoot and manage technical issues during events and provide feedback to prevent issues.
- Assist in planning videos for in-person and virtual events, as necessary.
- Keep up to date on industry best practices and suggest improvements as necessary.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Strong understanding of in-person and virtual event audio, video, and lighting technology.
- Two to five years of professional experience editing and producing video content for production agencies or major political, advocacy, or news organizations.
- Extensive experience working in Adobe Premiere. Familiarity with After Effects, Photoshop, or Illustrator is a plus.
- Experience with filming interviews and camera and lighting setup.
- Outstanding project management skills and proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Strong communications skills.
- Ability to multitask and problem-solve under pressure.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical topics to a variety of internal and external clients.
- Eye for detail.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to work well under pressure, tight deadlines, and beyond normal business hours.
- Ability to travel when necessary.
- Solid understanding of virtual event platforms (Zoom, Hopin, and GoTo Webinar) and virtual event production.
- Ability to handle audio, video, lighting, and live-streaming technologies is preferred.
- Nonprofit, political advance, and 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations working experience is a plus.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $60,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.