General Counsel and Senior Vice President
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 1
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an opening for a Legal Assistant to join its Legal team. The Legal team manages legal matters for the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit research and educational think tank, as well as its affiliated 501(c)(4) organization, the Center for American Progress Action Fund, which are together known as American Progress. This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
The Center for American Progress is a progressive think tank that works on issues across the policy spectrum, placing particular emphasis on developing a long-term vision of a progressive America and finding innovative ways to communicate policy analyses, recommendations, and values. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute that advocates for bold, progressive ideas through public education as well as some lobbying and political activities. Both organizations engage in expansive programmatic activities aligned with their mission and values, including policy research, publications and other web content, public events, and partnerships with other organizations.
The Legal Assistant will be part of a dynamic team that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting policy priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
The legal issues facing American Progress are diverse and intricate. The Legal team works closely with senior management, staff, and contractors in a fast-paced environment to design and implement institutional compliance procedures. The Legal team also responds to any other daily legal needs of the organizations. Legal areas of focus include nonprofit tax law, ethics and lobbying rules, election law, contracting, corporate governance, media law, and employment law.
This role presents a great opportunity for individuals contemplating law school to participate in running an active nonprofit organization’s legal infrastructure and learn what it is like to work as in-house counsel. As a member of the Legal team, the Legal Assistant will have a number of regular responsibilities and work on a variety of discrete projects, gaining broad exposure to compliance structures for an array of legal areas.
- Assist in-house lawyers with ensuring organizational compliance with IRS and Federal Election Commission rules as well as lobbying disclosure requirements, congressional ethics rules, and other areas of the law.
- Assist with legal filings and registrations.
- Revise, update, and organize legal documents, policies, and guidance.
- Contract management from drafting to execution.
- Perform administrative duties for the General Counsel and provide general support to in-house lawyers.
- Assist with training staff on legal compliance and resolving routine legal issues or questions.
- Conduct legal research.
- Assist with coordinating board of directors meetings and addressing other corporate governance issues.
- Perform other legal and administrative duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- One to two years of experience is a plus but not required.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work on diverse topics and balance multiple projects at once.
- Positive attitude, a sense of humor, and a team-oriented ethic.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $49,000. American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.