Product Manager, Digital Strategy
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a highly motivated Product Manager to lead the iterative development of its flagship website and align current and future web functionalities to end-user needs. The Product Manager will serve as the chief driver of product backlog needs identification, refinement, prioritization, delivery, and alignment to established enterprise web goals.
The ideal Product Manager will collaborate and communicate as effectively with content creators as with software engineers, with external vendors as with internal stakeholders, and with executive leaders as with interns. Candidates for this position should value the comradery that comes with being a part of a progressively minded and socially conscious organization.
American Progress is an independent, nonpartisan policy organization that is dedicated to its mission of improving the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Digital Strategy team is responsible for developing and operationalizing strategies to reach and engage the organization’s target audiences through digital channels such as web, social media, and online marketing. The team works closely with an extensive roster of highly respected resident thought leaders, policy professionals, and various functional groups in the organization in order to formulate and implement effective digital content strategies to connect with American Progress audiences.
This hire will be part of a dynamic Communications department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Manage the definition, prioritization, and assignment of web development tasks.
- Own relationships with web development external vendors and internal stakeholders.
- Maintain web development process’ alignment with established enterprise web goals.
- Routinely report on the status of website development progress as well as the overall performance of enterprise web products against value-driven key performance indicators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Understanding of agile product development principles, scrum ceremonies, processes, and terminology.
- Demonstrated success building, grooming, and prioritizing product backlogs.
- Demonstrated success managing external vendors to deliver enterprise-level digital products.
- Experience synthesizing end-user needs into technical requirements.
- Stakeholder management skills to cultivate and maintain critical relationships across a fast-paced, deadline-oriented organization.
- Excellent communication and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and decision-making abilities, including goals and projection setting and a proven ability to navigate ambiguity and change.
- A passion for progressive policy with an entrepreneurial mindset, including a focus on possibilities instead of obstacles.
- At least three to five years of experience in product management, product development, or web/digital project management is preferred.
- Certification from an accredited organization as a scrum master, product owner or agile product manager or in user-centered design, design thinking, or a related area of expertise is preferred.
- Experience running sprint planning and sprint retrospective/review sessions is preferred.
- Familiarity with product management tools such as BugHerd, Jira, or CA Agile Central/Rally is preferred.
- Successful use of Google Analytics, or comparable analytics tools, to leverage web product traffic metrics to drive product development decisions and priorities is preferred.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a budgeted salary of $90,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.