Research Assistant/Associate, Health Policy
Vice President, Health Policy
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a Research Assistant or Research Associate for the Health Policy team. The Research Assistant or Research Associate will provide research support for American Progress’ work to ensure that health care is affordable and accessible to all; to fortify the public health system; and to provide all Americans with the opportunity to achieve their full health potential. This effort is part of American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
The Research Assistant or Research Associate will support a variety projects, including those that improve health care systems and health in the context of serving each of the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual who can work independently and deliver high-quality administrative and research support, including policy analysis. The successful Research Assistant or Research Associate will demonstrate an ability to multitask, set priorities in a fast-paced environment, and manage important communications. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals—both internally and externally—are important.
- Provide research support on key areas in health policy, including by analyzing data sets; reading and summarizing existing research; reviewing state and federal legislation; and more.
- Provide rapid-response policy analysis both for internal and external audiences.
- Assist in the development, implementation, management, production, and distribution of large-scale research projects.
- Prepare outlines and/or drafts of policy-focused columns, briefs, and reports.
- Manage logistics for coalition and advocacy efforts, including assisting with planning and coordination of public and private meetings and events.
- Support coordination with the Communications and Advocacy and Outreach departments and promote health policy content and goals online.
- Provide operational and administrative support for the Health Policy team, including scheduling, processing and filing forms, and proofreading grant reports.
- Perform other duties, including administrative tasks, as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a relevant field.
- One to two years of professional experience for the Research Assistant position; at least two years of professional experience for the Research Associate position.
- Experience working on health policy.
- Demonstrated interest in issues related to health care, public health, and social determinants of health.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Research Assistant position has a minimum salary of $52,000, and the Research Associate position has a minimum salary of $55,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.