Senior Adviser, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Human Resources Strategy
Vice President, Human Resources
Staff reporting to this position:
Exempt, full time
Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
The Senior Adviser of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Human Resources (HR) Strategy is responsible for the development and implementation of the overall DEI program strategy and will support DEI initiatives across the organization. They will work closely with the Vice President of Human Resources and Executive team to develop the DEI and HR strategy for American Progress and partner with directors and employee resource groups to facilitate and prioritize DEI efforts in internal policies, processes, and employee engagement. They may also serve as a representative of American Progress on matters related to DEI with state associations, government agencies, private foundations, and the public.
- Manage a portfolio of projects that support DEI efforts, including DEI budget development and oversight and managing the workflow of those working on the project.
- Work with the Vice President of Human Resources to develop DEI strategy and embed DEI within the overall HR strategy.
- Research best practices and develop educational resources such as webinars, workshops, case studies, toolkits, and issue briefs; report progress internally and externally.
- Serve as an external and internal spokesperson on DEI topics and actively communicate and interact with staff, as requested.
- Serve as lead adviser for the Executive team to ensure all leaders understand and avoid bias, promote equitable practices, and invest in upholding the organization’s mission with clear DEI objectives and outcomes.
- Develop and deliver a robust set of training and other experiential activities—in collaboration with the HR team and DEI employee resource groups—to develop a common understanding of DEI concepts and set of skills among staff at all levels.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in DEI work in the public policy, nonprofit, local government, or foundation sector.
- Certification in DEI, change management, or project management is preferred.
- Experience designing, implementing, and evaluating DEI programs alongside affinity or employee resource groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including in public speaking and in conducting formal meetings with internal and external stakeholders. Working knowledge of principles of cultural relativism, cross-cultural communication, and conflict resolution.
- Must have working knowledge of employment laws.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $100,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.