Vice President, Campaigns and Outreach
President, Center for American Progress Action Fund
Staff reporting to this position: Director of Stories
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 9
Minimum compensation: $140,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a Vice President for Campaigns and Outreach to help lead the organization’s issue and electoral campaign activity. There is a unique opportunity to make significant gains in creating a more just and equitable country, anchored in an economy that works for all. American Progress will be one of the few progressive organizations with the capacity to engage in a broad range of policy and advocacy efforts over the next few years, and this position offers an exciting opportunity for a strategic leader and campaigner to engage with the breadth of the progressive movement.
American Progress works to address the country’s most pressing challenges through its mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. This position will support the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
The Vice President for Campaigns and Outreach will work across teams within American Progress, including working closely with senior leaders in the Advocacy and Outreach department, to help develop multifaceted campaign plans that leverage the organization’s unique assets through storytelling; digital content production and distribution; research; and communications capacity. This position will also ensure that American Progress is partnering closely with a range of progressive groups at both the state and national levels to ensure that the organization’s advocacy efforts are aligned and well integrated its allies.
Over the next two years, the Vice President for Campaigns and Outreach will primarily focus on helping to build a strong economic narrative utilizing the implementation of new laws as proof points of that story. Working closely with organization allies and elected officials, this campaign will aim to center the importance of an economic story in which all Americans benefit from a growing economy.
The Vice President will lead electoral outreach by the Center for American Progress Action Fund (CAP Action), including engaging closely with candidates and party committees to help deepen their commitment to progressive policies.
Strong candidates for this role will have a sharp understanding of the political landscape, a keen ability to identify strategic opportunities, and a proven record of successfully executing projects.
- Provide day-to-day management of the Campaigns team to develop clear plans and support the team in executing them effectively.
- Support the development and execution of advocacy campaigns promoting progressive narratives, policies, and accountability campaigns.
- Coordinate closely with the President of CAP Action and represent American Progress within progressive advocacy coalitions to help both inform the organization’s own work and build stronger progressive alliances.
- Maintain strong relationships across the institution, including with the Advocacy and Outreach department, the Executive department, and various policy teams.
- Engage elected officials in CAP Action’s strategic messaging and advocacy activities.
- Play a supporting role in fundraising to grow American Progress’ advocacy capacity, including messaging and storytelling capacity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least 12 years of professional experience with campaigns, ideally with significant experience on electoral campaigns.
- Creative, strategic, and a self-starter with an ability to identify opportunities and capitalize on them.
- Keen political instincts with an understanding of when leverage exists—and when it doesn’t—and how to build it.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills, with experience directing and supporting a diverse team to succeed.
- Strong relationships across the progressive movement, with a deep commitment to progressive values and policies.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- Team player with an ability to do what is needed to achieve organization and team goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $140,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to americanprogressaction.vipdev.lndo.site.