Video Producer and Editor, Digital Advocacy
Director of Video
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
Minimum compensation: $61,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Video Producer and Editor to join a growing creative team. The Digital Advocacy team’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling video and graphic content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies and values.
Ideal applicants will have the ability to envision and create compelling organic video content for the Center for American Progress Action Fund’s social media channels and partners’ pages. The public is more overwhelmed than ever, and the Video Producer should have a deep understanding of how to create compelling short narratives that are optimized for key audiences and can break through the noise.
A strong candidate for this role will have the technical skills and strategic perspective to produce, edit, and manage video and motion projects for all digital platforms, with an emphasis on optimizing content for Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
This is a full-time position funded for one year, with the opportunity for extensions.
- Work closely with the Director of Video and the Content Strategy subteam to develop video concepts that advance CAP Action’s messaging priorities.
- Write weekly pitches for potential short-format videos and collaborate with other team members to identify the best narrative structure and execution style.
- Brainstorm, research, and write clear and concise scripts that align messaging guidance with compelling narratives that put emotions first and help move the needle on CAP Action’s core fights.
- Compile assets, develop boards, and pre-produce weekly video products.
- Plan studio or on-location video shoots. Coordinate travel; schedule talent; and set up cameras, lights, and audio.
- Edit and project manage video products. Color correct footage and add motion graphics, sound design elements, and subtitles. Deliver in all required formats.
- Record voice-over tracks when necessary.
- Read and translate complicated data and information into easy-to-interpret data visualizations or explainers.
- Optimize and version out CAP Action video products for Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to maximize KPIs, including video views, shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Identify opportunities to repackage and recut existing footage that fits into current CAP Action campaigns and allows the team to better capitalize on rapid-response opportunities.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in video.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Experience working in Adobe Creative Cloud, including Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Proficiency in Premiere is a must.
- At least three to five years of professional experience shooting, producing, and editing videos for political, advocacy, or news organizations.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Outstanding project management, organization, and communication skills. Proficiency in project collaboration workflows and tools such as Dropbox, Monday.com, and Google Workspace.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with trending topics.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Familiarity with shooting and with operating DSLR cameras, lights, and audio equipment.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience is required.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $61,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to americanprogressaction.vipdev.lndo.site.